This week there was lots of coverage of Trump’s proposed budget (see this overview from the NY Times) and its effect on poor people. Below are just some of the articles and op-eds on the topic:
- Max Ehrenfreund, “How Trump’s budget helps the rich at the expense of the poor,” Wash Post Wonkblog, May 23, 2017.
- Julie Hirschfield Davis, “Trump’s Budget Cuts Deeply Into Medicaid and Anti-Poverty Efforts,” N.Y. Times, May 22, 2017.
- Jenny Luna, “Trump Takes a Big Bite out of His Voters’ Food Stamps,” Mother Jones, May 23, 2017.
- Julia Bellez, “45 million Americans rely on food stamps. Trump wants to gut the program,” Vox, May 25, 2017.
Perhaps the headline from the NPR story says it best:
- Pam Fessler, “Trump Budget Deals ‘Devastating Blow’ To Low-Income Americans, Advocates Say,” NPR, May 23, 2017.
Lastly, perhaps to explain what Republicans think about all this, this week Ben Carson called poverty largely a state of mind.