Category Archives: Food
Op-Ed: Joe Kennedy III & Peter Edelman, “Donald Trump’s Budget Cuts Would Leave Many Americans Hungry”
Op-Ed: Joe Kennedy III & Peter Edelman, “Donald Trump’s Budget Cuts Would Leave Many Americans Hungry,” Time, June 29, 2017.
Elaine Waxman and Jonathan Schwabish, “What would happen to SNAP if proposed $191 billion cut became law?“, The Urban Institute, May 30, 2017.
David Smith and Dominic Rushe, “Food stamps: a lifeline for America’s poor that Trump wants to cut“, The Guardian, May 28, 2017.
NY Times Editorial: “The Problem Isn’t Food Stamps, It’s Poverty,” May 26, 2017.
This week there was lots of coverage of Trump’s proposed budget (see this overview from the NY Times) and its effect on poor people. Below are just some of the articles and op-eds on the topic:
- Max Ehrenfreund, “How Trump’s budget helps the rich at the expense of the poor,” Wash Post Wonkblog, May 23, 2017.
- Julie Hirschfield Davis, “Trump’s Budget Cuts Deeply Into Medicaid and Anti-Poverty Efforts,” N.Y. Times, May 22, 2017.
- Jenny Luna, “Trump Takes a Big Bite out of His Voters’ Food Stamps,” Mother Jones, May 23, 2017.
- Julia Bellez, “45 million Americans rely on food stamps. Trump wants to gut the program,” Vox, May 25, 2017.
Perhaps the headline from the NPR story says it best:
- Pam Fessler, “Trump Budget Deals ‘Devastating Blow’ To Low-Income Americans, Advocates Say,” NPR, May 23, 2017.
Lastly, perhaps to explain what Republicans think about all this, this week Ben Carson called poverty largely a state of mind.
News Article: Caitlin Dewey, Immigrants are going hungry so Trump won’t deport them, Washington Post (Mar. 16, 2017).
News Article: Ronald Brownstein, Federal Anti-Poverty Programs Primarily Help the GOP’s Base, The Atlantic (Feb. 16, 2017).
Report: Jane Collins, Food Stamp Work Requirements and the Implications of Devolution, The Gender Policy Report.
News Article: Abby Goodnough, The Adults a Medicaid Work Requirement Would Leave Behind, New York Times (Feb. 25, 2017).