Dominating the headlines this week is the news of Justice Kennedy’s retirement from the Supreme Court. This political bombshell comes amidst the turmoil of the separation of immigrant families. In an effort to digest some of the key facets of the situation, here is a compiled list of sources discussing various aspects of the political environment surrounding the soon-to-be nomination process and it’s impact on American jurisprudence (and more immediate aspects of American life, namely reproductive rights).
- Andrew Prokop, A titanic battle over replacing Justice Kennedy looms in the Senate, Vox.com, June 27, 2018.
- The New York Times board, The Front-Runners and Full List of Potential Supreme Court Nominees, NYTimes.com, June 27, 2018.
- Brett Samuels, READ: Trump list of candidates to replace Justice Kennedy, TheHill.com, June 27, 2018.
- Nancy L. Combs, Justice Kennedy’s controversial judicial philosophy, described by a former clerk, Vox.com, June 30, 2018.
- Michael D. Shear & Thomas Kaplan, Political War Over Replacing Kennedy on Supreme Court is Underway, NYTimes.com, June 28, 2018.
- Emily Stewart, Susan Collins says she won’t support a Supreme Court nominee who’s hostile to Roe v. Wade, Vox.com, July 1, 2018.
B. Opinions on the current predicament
- Paul Schiff Berman, A Better Reason to Delay Kennedy’s Replacement, NYTimes.com OpEd, June 29, 2018.
- Nan Aron, No one on Trump’s shortlist is fit to replace Kennedy, TheHill.com, June 27, 2018.
- LA Times Editorial Board, In replacing Justice Kennedy, Trump should rein in his partisan, populist tendencies, LAtimes.com, June 28, 2018.