The Economics of the COVID-19 Public Health and Economic Crisis When: Aug 14, 2020 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM Eastern Time
Register in advance for this webinar:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
· Why reopening the economy now is economically counterproductive;
· Why we CAN afford to float the economy and meet people’s needs until it is safe to reopen;
· Why the best way to respond to the COVID-19 public health and economic crisis is to enact legislation that meets current needs while simultaneously laying the foundation for a permanent restructuring of public policy in the United States to build a just, egalitarian and anti-racist society committed to the realization of everyone’s civil, political, economic, social and cultural human rights everywhere in the world.
· Walter Tsou, former Commissioner of the Philadelphia Department of Health and past President of the American Public Health Association.
· Philip Harvey, Professor of Law and Economics, Rutgers Law School, and author of Securing the Right to Employment: Social Welfare Policy and the Unemployed in the United States.
· William Darity, Samuel DuBois Cook Distinguished Professor of Public Policy, Professor of African and African American Studies, and Professor of Economics, Duke University, and coauthor, with Kirsten Mullen of From Here to Equality: Reparations for Black Americans in the Twenty-First Century.
· Radhika Balakrishnan, Professor of Women’s and Gender Studies, Rutgers University, Faculty Director of the Rutgers Center for Women’s Global Leadership, and co-author with James Heintz and Diane Elson of Rethinking Economic Policy for Social Justice: The Radical Potential of Human Rights.
· Joel Segal, Co-Founder and Board Member, Progressive Democrats of America; Co-Convenor, US National COVID-19 Emergency Response Group; and former Staffer to Rep. John Conyers with responsibility for overseeing H.R. 676, Rep. Conyers’s Medicare for All Act, and H.R. 1000, Mr. Conyers’s “Humphrey-Hawkins 21st Century Full Employment and Training Act,” also known as the “Jobs for All Act.”
· Alan Minsky, Executive Director, Progressive Democrats of America; long-time progressive activist and journalist.